What are the functions of engine oil?
If a question is asked as to what main property that an engine oil must have, there will be no doubt that it will be the lubricating. However, this property is not nearly enough for modern vehicles.
- LUBRICATE: contacting surfaces, bearings, pistons, cylinders
- COOL: remove heat from pistons, cylinders, bearings
- SEAL: annular gaps between pistons and cylinders
- CLEAN: from combustion and wear products (acids, water, fuel particles)
- PROTECT: against ageing and corrosion